Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Poem

This is inspired from the poems that my students wrote at my school...well, mostly the structure of it and yeah.... here it goes...rough draft...please no tomatoes :-D

"I am from Hesperia" (rethinking the title...I know)

I am
from Hesperia
the homeland of tumbleweeds, dirt, and heat
but always a cool breeze in the evening

I am White
German, English, Native American
Proud.

I am
from parents of military fathers
the middle child
the only daughter

I am from
hamburger helper
homemade jams and jellies
and the best stuffing from scratch you've ever had

I am often associated as the child
with the brains, the looks, the athletic skills...
but that does not define Me.

I am
and always will be a runner at heart
a math nerd
a girl that is overjoyed with silly and simple jokes

I am
a daughter of God
who seeks justice for the needy
and is growing in compassion, serving, and love

I am from faithful friends,
a blessed family,
and amazing HD, Dorm, IV, and SP communities

I am from the most beautiful red words of Jesus Christo
"Your faith has saved you,
go in peace."

2 comments:

Jessica said...

hi miss sarah--just wanted to say that we LOVE your parents' homemade jams. They're awesome!

stephanie yu said...

i really loved it!!

there is a rhythm to it!