Thursday, July 8, 2010

And the transition begins...

I knew it would be hard to leave my old neighborhood...but I did not expect that some of the people I would say my "last good-byes" to on my move-out/cleaning day would be forced in a 5 minute timeframe due to cleaning, returning a vacuum back to a friend that let us borrow it, trying to figure out if our neighbor down the street could take the stove we had, and then leaving early to go watch a play involving some of the youth from our church. Phew! There was this sense that I did not have the proper closure that I had hoped for...even though I knew that I would go back and visit with some of my neighbors (as I do intend to)...even though they live only 5 minutes away, it's different not having them as my immediate neighbors now. It sunk in a little more when one the kids next door to us was surprised when she found out we were moving, and got really sad, and started crying. I did not realize that we had been that meaningful for her. I know that I can continue to pray for these families, and get to go visit from time to time at my old apartment. But I know it just won't be the same.

One good-bye that I did really appreciate and treasure happened earlier in the week by a woman who has consistently encouraged me in my faith in the Lord. The grandmother/mother of one our neighbors at our previous apartment would come to visit the mother/son from time to time for birthdays, car rides to visit cousins, car rides to take the mom to work, and just to be present with her family. This lady is a strong Christian believer, and would constantly bring me good words to hear that I needed at the time. As the days were approaching closer to our move and I had not been able to say some good-byes yet to some neighbors, and was getting more nervous about the transition, and the sadness of leaving that particular neighborhood. This grandmother, who I bumped into randomly one day, was talking with me, sharing that she heard that we were moving. She reminded me that as God's workers, we are called to be in some places for a short amount of time to plant seeds and pour God's blessings onto those around us...and then continue on, "scatter", and further God's kingdom. She thanked me for being around and being a blessing to her daughter and grandson...but truly, I feel that she was a huge blessing for me in my 2 years there. It was the reminder that I needed....that even though I knew it was going to be difficult to leave the area that I had invested in, built relationships with people, cared about the community....God will continue to be at work there, and is calling me to a different place for now, where His Kingdom will continue to grow also. Praise the Lord for His work and placing those people in our lives that bring God's truth and comfort when we need it most!

It has been officially 2 weeks since we have moved into our new apartment, and already I have enjoyed being here. My roomates and I have been able to spend some time together over meals, watching some TV/movies, and just hanging out...good good for all of us. :) We have gotten to know our landlord (our downstairs neighbor) more and his family, we have met with some different people in the neighborhood through different times of the day, and it is encouraging to be living near other friends from Church of the Redeemer who love this community also! Please pray that God continues to make divine appointments in which we are able to meet more people in this neighborhood and share the Good News about Jesus with those in this neighborhood.

Thanks so much for all your prayers, support, encouragement, and love! <3

No comments: